Friday, February 10, 2012

The Art of Modesty Part 1.



There is one topic topic that is extremely important to me as a young Christian woman, and that is the topic of modesty. We as Christians are called to be modest and holy, set apart from the ways of this world. Yet we are bombarded with negative images in pictures and movies. Our society is set on proclaiming the phrase "Less is more" and "Sex Sells" is embraced by many. These things are just lies and could not be farther from the truth. All in all, MODESTY IS BEAUTIFUL.


1 Timothy 2:9 "I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes"

1 Peter 3:3 "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes."

Ok, I believe that it's ok to look nice. We're girls! We should desire to carry ourselves in a certain way. However, it is when our fixation on outward appearance, clothes, makeup and jewelry surpasses that of our focus on our worth in Christ that it becomes a problem. Our beauty comes from Him alone.

Modesty is reflection of how we perceive ourselves. We are children of the King, so should treat ourselves as such. He delights in us and loves us. The way we dress should also show that we are aware of such things.

I admire Christians in the spotlight like Rebecca St. James, who is an advocate for modesty and proclaims that "Modest is Hottest". At the end of this post I have a video of St. James taking a stand for modesty on national television. (Warning: the title of the video may sound extreme but it is totally relevant to the conversation I promise you!) It's so encouraging to see her take a stand for something so seroius and important, and she is certainly a great example of a role model for today's youth.

I admit, we are all not perfect, and we may make mistakes concerning this area (I know I have). But God can take that mistake and turn it into something beautiful. I know that He is constantly working on me more and more in the area of modesty, as well as providing good role models who uphold the same conviction.

This is part 1 to this topic, so I will definitely be posting more about stylish (and modest) clothing,accountability, as well as some other stuff. :)

Be Blessed!
WARNING: The title may be offensive, but it is totally relevant to the subject matter :)

4 comments:

  1. lvoe the first photo :)
    Love Lois xxxx

    http://lisforlois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois! I think the outfit is so cute!
      I like your blog by the way!

      Delete
  2. Love that dress and those shoes. It's funny how modest things really are cuter than not modest stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. There's something classy, sophisticated, and tasteful about modest clothing.

      Delete