Friday, February 17, 2012

WORDS



"Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

Whoever said this obviously didn't understand the concept of words. In fact, words can hurt deeper than some silly twig or rock can. Words can change ones perception of someone, can tear down and build someone up. Yet this is so common, even in the Church! The bullying, the teasing, the gossip, the negativity, the intolerance. It's all there. How have we allowed ourselves to become desensitized toward such a thing?

I was a victim of this today, which was surprising because in a situation like that I would typically shrug it off, but found myself upset. It reminded me of the power of encouragement and made me wonder, how many times do I say something mean or offensive to someone instead of showing them grace? If I overhear someone gossiping, why don't I just walk away or say something to protect that person's honor?
This is an issue that needs to be prioritized.

We may gossip or speak badly about someone out of jealousy and envy, we may gossip to cover up an insecurity about ourseves. But gossip, all in all, is just negative. Nothing good comes out of it. Since when did cutting someone else down to make ourselves feel good become so common? As the body of Christ, we are called to encourage and edify each other, to speak love to our strengths and help each other with our weaknesses.

James 3:9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness.
As children of God in Christ Jesus, we need to speak encouragement to others. These are people made in the image of God. We need to see them as such and encourage them. Sometimes people just may need an encouraging word or acknowledgement. We need to be the love of Christ and be a good example of His word by extending that love to others.

We need to ask ourselves, do we want to bless and encourage someone with a word? Take for instance that cashier at Wal-Mart. Do we want to argue with her because she's having a bad day or do we want to extend grace and ask her how her day is going? One kind word can go a long way.

I know that am convicted to speak words of encouragement and love unto others, because it is part of the example that Jesus showed. He truly is the greatest role model.


Stop with the cutting words

Stop with the gossip

Be an encouragement

Extend grace

Speak love


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

18 comments:

  1. So often as women it is easy to fall into that trap of being more against each other rather than for each other. I too have been reminded this week of the very strong power of a simple word of encouragement. Great post, enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right girl! I know I'm certainly convicted in that area! Appreciate you and love your blog!

      Delete
  2. Love Love love this :) So true, We need to be spreading his word, rather than using our words to purposely hurt others.. we need to be an example, and encourage others to be a light upon this world! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Breanna! You are so right, we need to be an effective witness for His glory!

      Delete
  3. Very good word Brandi :) thanks for putting it out there and encouraging love! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura! I appreciate your encouragement and your blog very much! I love your heart and passion for ministry! Thanks for being so encouraging!

      Delete
  4. girl, this is exactly the encouragement i needed to hear tonight - the Lord has been really moving on my heart about this topic, so convicting! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you are encouraging! I definitely have been convicted on it as well! I think it's definitely an issue for women. Appreciate you so much!

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite posts of the day! This was beautifully written and so honest and open! :) I love an open heart! I need to work more on this...as do most girls I bet! :) THanks for sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I know I definitely need to work on this! I so admire your openness on your blog. Love your heart! Appreciate you so much!

      Delete
  6. This is so very convicting, thank you so much Brandi!! I just found your sweet blog through 20sb and wanted to say welcome! Looking forward to reading more from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! I love the 20sb site a lot! I think it's a great way to get connected. Love your blog!

      Delete
  7. THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I love this so much!!!! You have such insight & I admire your heart so much! You definitely need to get blog lovin'! Makes it easier for people to follow. XOXOXOXO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you so much girl! So glad that you are encouraged! I just want to share what the Lord is doing in me. It's all about Him! I love your blog so much and love your heart! I just got a bloglovin as well! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  8. I'm learning so much about the power of AFFIRMATION and speaking LIFE into people. Sometimes we're so careless with our words and don't realize how much power they have.
    We have to break the habit of criticizing and speaking so quick! We need discernment and wisdom to COVER our words so that they edify whomever we speak to!

    thanks for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow girl that's so good! God has been dealing with me about the same thing lately! Words are very powerful and we do need to speak life into people. So awesome! Thanks for sharing that I am encouraged!

      Delete
  9. This is so convicting, and genuinely written. Thank you for shinning light in this area and encouraging us all. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete